The Oregon Lottery is a leader in the gaming industry and an important contributor of revenue for the state's schools, parks, watershed restoration, veteran's programs and outdoor schools. We are looking for an experienced Research Consultant to lead and collaborate on the design, execution and interpretation of market research to answer business questions. Excellent analytical, written and interpersonal skills are required.
This job closes on December 13, 2017 at 5:00pm. APPLY TODAY!
Applicants should ensure that their e-mail settings will receive e-mail from the iCIMS system, otherwise you could miss critical communications related to the recruitment. Emails may be delivered to your Junk or Spam email boxes. We will communicate via e-mail to schedule interviews and to notify you of the status of your application. Failure to respond to our scheduling e-mails will result in no further consideration.
If you are claiming Veteran's preference, you MUST attach the appropriate documentation at the time of application. If the correct documents are not uploaded to the system, Veteran's preference will not be applied.
Veterans: Submit appropriate member copy of DD214/215.
Disabled Veterans: Submit appropriate member copy of DD214/215 and a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) indicating a service connected disability rating.
The Research Consultant is responsible for providing senior-level consultation, project and vendor management, execution, and analysis across quantitative and qualitative market research. This will include consultation on business and market driven assumptions, potential product/channel testing and launch scenarios and how to test and evaluate the impact from risks and opportunities. The work includes, but is not limited to, consultation with internal stakeholders to define business/ research requirements; determining optimal and feasible approaches for designing, executing, and interpreting primary research and market trials to answer business questions; involvement in/responsibility for translating business questions into research design independently or in collaboration with manager and/or research vendor; responsible for ensuring that report design and writing accurately translate study results into business strategy and action items.
This position works under moderate direction/supervision from the Research & Analytics Manager, but requires providing updates regarding activities during regular meetings with Research & Analytics Manager or as needed; and requires the ability to work independently and in conjunction with teammates and other departments. The incumbent is responsible for consultation with stakeholders to define business/ research requirements; responsible for developing and/or reviewing study design and analysis plans, and report design; responsible for taking the lead in recommending research and basic to advanced analytical approaches that will best meet the needs of the stakeholder(s); adept at managing programmatic and ad hoc market research projects; may assist with training of new Research Analysts regarding market research project management and design. Work is guided by professional standards for research and statistical analysis and is performed within the guidelines of Oregon Revised Statutes, Oregon Administrative Rules, Lottery policies and procedures, and the Annual Marketing and Sales Plan, which includes the Annual Research Plan.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES (*ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS):
1. *Consultation with stakeholders to define requirements and develop project specifications for quantitative and qualitative market research projects, as well as market trials and pilots.
Consult with Lottery stakeholders to define requirements for quantitative and qualitative market research projects. This will include understanding the strategic business direction, what changes the business will want to look at across product portfolio offerings, customer segments, channels, etc. and approaches for testing possible hypotheses, executions and their implications. Recommend research and analytical approaches that best meet the needs of the stakeholder (to include testing, piloting and other methodologies), and take the lead on project and vendor management/execution.
2. *Apply advanced skills as a researcher, analyst, and consultant to recommend opportunities for strategy refinement.
Conduct research, analyze internal data, and leverage industry sources to study industry, technology, consumer, and sales trends to determine information gaps that need to be filled to better support fact-based strategy development. Confirm how best to answer key business questions – through descriptive statistics or advanced analytics; by conducting research or by compiling/analyzing internal data; by conducting the work internally or working with an outside vendor. Write and distribute ongoing updates that translate data into conclusions and recommendations for action.
3. *Manage the planning and execution of market research projects related to product performance, marketing effectiveness, consumer information, and retailer sales and performance.
Manage the planning and execution of quantitative and qualitative research projects. Determine input and suggestions regarding research methodology, identification of research needs, development of specifications and requirements, data collection methods and identification of sources of information. Oversee research vendor activities and coordinate with Lottery sections to exchange information and track/facilitate progress. Has primary responsibility for ensuring the accuracy, timeliness, and actionability of research design and deliverables.
4. *Work closely with Senior Research Analysts responsible for leveraging insights from internal and third party sales, retail, demographic, and spatial data to add depth and value to research consultation and recommendations.
Ongoing collaboration and brainstorming with Senior Research Analysts to “bump up” research results against internal sales/retail data, advanced analytics/modeling, and other business intelligence to provide the most accurate, actionable recommendations possible that look at business questions and issues from multiple perspectives. This will include collaborating on design, execution, analysis, and consulting on product/market tests and pilots.
5. *Support the Research & Analytics Manager in the training of Research Analysts regarding market research project management and design as assigned.
Under the direction of the Research & Analytics Manager, provide ongoing training and feedback to Research Analysts regarding research design, analytical techniques, and project management.
6. Participate in special projects as assigned.
The Research Consultant is a highly effective collaborator and facilitator, with excellent written and verbal communication skills. The incumbent will consult, facilitate discussions, and conduct presentations with Lottery management and staff; as well as reaching out to staff from other state lotteries to monitor industry best practices; establishing effective working relationships with research and consulting firms; and addressing questions from the media and the general public through public record requests or other channels. Professionalism, clarity, and diplomacy in communications are required.
Work is usually conducted in an office environment. Some travel to retailer establishments is required to conduct research which may expose the incumbent to temperature extremes, loud music, belligerent language, threat of violence, and other hazards. Occasional travel may be required. Travel for job related purposes may be in inclement weather and in rare occasions involve long distances. The work may occasionally require working extended hours to meet deadlines.
At least a Bachelor’s degree in Market Research, Marketing, Statistics, Business, Economics, Psychology, or other closely related field AND a minimum of 5 years of work experience in market research and/or advanced analytics requiring the design, management, and execution of studies/analysis involving advanced analytics. Experience must include extensive knowledge of a mix of quantitative and qualitative research methodologies, including ad hoc and programmatic research, product/concept testing, market trials, and qualitative research approaches; effective vendor and project management; quantitative and qualitative research study design; and acting as the lead or closely collaborating with an advanced analytics team to conduct choice exercises, modeling (such as game mix or inventory optimization), forecasting, or other advanced analytics.
• Demonstrated advanced skill level in applying a wide array of quantitative and qualitative research techniques that best address business questions.
• Demonstrated advanced knowledge regarding market research study design.
• Background in the successful design and execution of new concept testing and market trials a strong plus.
• Skill in research project management, including vendor management, meeting stated deadlines, monitoring budgets, and confirming that study objectives are met.
• Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with manager, colleagues and vendors and to work on cross-departmental projects.
• Lottery/gaming industry knowledge – or ability to quickly learn about this industry - a strong plus.
• Skill in clearly and accurately reporting/interpreting/presenting findings to promote fact-based decision-making.
• Advanced skill in developing verbal and written narrative reports summarizing and interpreting results and conclusions.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Advanced skill in using Microsoft Office programs, such as MS PowerPoint and Word, to develop clear, informative, and compelling reports and presentations.
• Demonstrated ability to learn, understand, interpret and apply agency regulations, policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated moderate to advanced skill in the use of spreadsheet software, including formulas, linkages and macros to develop tables and reports.
• Advanced skill in using SPSS and other statistical software a plus.
• A valid driver’s license or ability to provide acceptable alternative method of transportation.
APPLY NOW!! Visit http://www.oregonlottery.org/jobs/
The results of this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
The Oregon Lottery® reserves the right to change, withdraw, close, or re-post job announcements as business needs dictate.
ORS 461.150 (5) states, "No person shall be employed by the state lottery who has been convicted of a felony or any gambling related offense." A background investigation is required prior to job offer which includes fingerprinting, criminal history, credit history (based on the position), tax records, driving record, affiliation with the gaming industry, and checking employment references and character references.
Lottery Ethics Policy prohibits employees from holding any legal or economic interest in the gaming industry. If you currently hold interest in the gaming industry this does not disqualify you from consideration in a position with the Lottery. If you are the successful applicant, you would need to dispose of the holdings prior to employment. (This does not apply to an investment in a mutual fund or a blind trust, or a time or demand deposit in a financial institution, shares in a credit union, the cash surrender value of life insurance, or American Indian tribal dividends.)
*Salary level will be based on qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. All employees and members of their immediate family, regardless of where they live, are prohibited-by-law from playing Oregon Lottery® games.
Pursuant to the American with Disabilities Act, persons with disabilities who believe they need reasonable accommodation, or help in order to apply for this position, may call 503-540-1315 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Per ORS 408.225, 408.230, and 408.235 relating to Veterans Preference for public employment, to receive Veterans Preference, include a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans' disability preference letter (unless information is included in the DD214/DD215) with your application material.
THE OREGON LOTTERY® IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO WORKPLACE DIVERSITY.